Monday, November 07, 2005

Actual Time 6:58 AM PST 4:48 PM PST

That would be the sunrise/sunset statistic. And then there's this one.

Length of Day
9h 49m
Tomorrow will be 2m 39s shorter.


Ugh ... it's payback for the endless summer. I biked back from the coffeehouse and it was *brisk*... winter is here. OK, not technically which brings me to my next thing.

It is only recently that I realized how the seasons work. I just assumed that the equinoxes and solstices were midpoints of the seasons. I realize now that I'm off by half a season. It seems odd to me that winter starts at the solstice. It would make more sense to me if the shortest day of the year is exactly mid winter and the longest day is mid summer. What can I tell you, as a kid I thought a florist was the guy who installs your hardwood floors.

1 comment:

Sparky said...

I just had this conversation with my son this morning. The fact that "winter" actually comes after most of the wind and rain and cold and blustering -- things actually germaine to Autumn. For most parts of our hemisphere "winter" is the long, quiet cold period, mostly after the busy holiday season which is what we think of as winter. I explained that we needed this to make spring look so good when it comes. He thinks I'm a tard, but he loves the idea of fall.